Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is Bhutan in the world map?
Bhutan is a small, landlocked nation located in the eastern Himalayas between India and China. Its landscape ranges from subtropical plains and forests in the South to subalpine forests and snowy mountains in the North. Bhutan is a predominantly Buddhist country and is known as the last stronghold of Mahayana Buddhism.
2. Do I need to use a tour operator to book my travel?
It is a government regulation that you must use a license Bhutanese Tour Operator to book your travel to Bhutan or one of their international partners.
3. What voltage and electrical fittings do I expect in Bhutan?
Bhutan’s electricity is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. You will need a voltage converter if your device does not support 230 Volts at 50 Hertz. Electrical outlets in Bhutan accept 3 types of plugs: three round pins arranged in a triangle, two round pins and two parallel flat pins with ground pin.
4. Is there ATM or credit cards facility in Bhutan?
Yes. There are ATM facilities in the major towns of Bhutan. A few high hotels and handi-craft shops accept visa cards but they charge quite high.
5. Is there any cell phone service in Bhutan? Can I use my phone?
Bhutan has cell phone coverage in all the regions. You can use your phone only if you have international roaming facility.
6. What type of car can I expect for my tour?
4WD cars for 1-3 people, Toyota hi-ace bus for 4-7 people and Toyota coaster bus for 7 people and above in a group.
7. As vegetarian, will it pose a problem with my meals option?
No, all restaurants and hotels in Bhutan cater choices of meals – both veg and non-veg. Prior information to a hotel will have you cooked meals of your choices.
8.What kinds of hotels are available in Bhutan?
Government approved hotels, luxury or upscale hotels.
9. What kinds of hotels are included in my package?
Government approved three star hotels – these hotels are clean and well maintained ones.
10. Should I need to pay additional fee for the upscale hotels?
Yes, you will have to pay their rates separately in addition to the normal government approved hotel package.
11. Can I upgrade my hotels after arrival in Bhutan?
Not possible in peak seasons.
12. Do I need to get any vaccinations before traveling to Bhutan?
No. However it is generally recommended that your tetanus, diphtheria and polio boosters are up to date.
13. What is the crime rate in Bhutan?
Very less! However you are required to take the universal precautionary measures.
14. Is there any restriction for Christian tourists?
No. All tourists from any background are treated equally.
15. Can I buy antiques in Bhutan?
Yes, but only with the government seal on it so that you can carry it outside.
16. Which side of the plan should I opt for the views?
Left side when you fly in to Bhutan and right when you are flying out.
17. Is there night clubs in Bhutan?
Yes, in most of the bigger cities like Thimphu, Paro and Punakha.
18. What about the cigarettes? Can I bring in to Bhutan?
Smoking is banned in public places, restaurants, hotels and offices. You can carry limited quantity for your personal consumption.
19. How do I reserve Drukair window seats?
Its non fixed seating and seats are awarded randomly. Check-in early and ask for the window seats.
20. Is tipping a standard practice?
Yes, give and take is always there in our culture.
21. Is there internet and television in Bhutan?
22. What currency is applicable in Bhutan?
Cash US dollars and TC is widely accepted. Indian currency of denominations not more than 100 is also accepted.
23. How are gay and lesbian travelers treated in Bhutan?
Bhutan doesn’t not bother others sex, creed or religion.
24. Is the health and medical facility good in Bhutan?
Yes, all places in Bhutan have good coverage.
25. How safe are the women travelers?
Very safe, however, you will have to take universal precautions such as not walking late at night in street or staying late in the discos.
26. Is photography allowed?
Yes, but not inside Dzongs, monasteries and temples.
27. Is there laundry service?
Yes, all hotels have laundry service.
28. What is the baggage limit on Drukair and trek?
20kg in economy class and 30kg in business class. Carry-on is 5kg. On trek, the baggage limit is 30g each.